The NHS Constitution states leaders should "...provide all staff with personal development, access to appropriate education and training for their jobs, and line management support to enable them to fulfil their potential."
To support this position and in line with recommendations set out in the Developing People: Improving Care strategic framework, a Northern Region Talent Board (NRTB) was established and met for the first time on Monday 25 June in Leeds.
The NRTB was set up to strategically oversee talent management in the Northern Region (initially) for Chief Executive, Accountable Officer, Director and Clinical Chair (CCG) level posts. This supervision encompasses:
- Setting direction – aligning our talent management approach with regional challenges and strategies.
- Overseeing implementation of the agreed approach by putting in place a programme that covers agreed talent systems and tools, the identification and assessment of talent, development interventions, sponsorship, support and deployment of talent, resourcing plan.
- Identifying risks, issues and mitigations.
The board also oversees the approaches through which the sub-regional footprints start to adopt talent management approaches in support of the RTB, including:
- Tracking and monitoring talent.
- Identifying appropriate opportunities and challenges for continuous development of talent, including temporary and permanent appointments and approaches that enable people to move around the system and different employing organisations and sectors more freely.
- Supporting employer organisations in having effective talent management in their organisations.
- Escalating emerging risks and issues, e.g. lack of diversity of talent pipelines, or not enough talent to support longer term resource demands, interfaces with emerging Integrated Care Systems, local authorities, social care and other healthcare partners.
The supporting architecture for the regional talent management approach is key to supporting career moves and development for talented staff across the system.
The following leaders represent the North East and North Cumbria on the board:
- Mark Adams – Chief Officer, NHS Newcastle Gateshead CCG and NHS North Tyneside CCG
- Dee Fawcett – HR Director, Newcastle Hospitals FT and Deputy Chair, NE HRD Network
- Ian Renwick – Chief Executive, Gateshead Health NHS FT and Chair of LWAB
- Clive Spencer – Director, NHS North East and Yorkshire & the Humber Leadership Academies
We look forward to working across the system to build an inclusive talent management approach for the benefit of all.
Supporting documents are available here.
Please contact us for details.