“I have found the programme transformational. The assessment itself was very robust, and alongside the other components: the academic programme, speakers, coaching, action learning set and my peer group, the fellowship has been hugely beneficial.” - NELA Participant
Applications for the Clinical Leaders programme are now open!
Excellent leadership plays a vital part in ensuring our patients receive the best care possible. The NHS North East Leadership Academy Clinical Leaders programme (formerly the Clinical Fellowship) is a seven-month bespoke development programme which aims to develop and improve the leadership skills of very senior clinicians to lead safe, innovative, high quality services.
The programme will develop your leadership capability and capacity through:
- Increasing self awareness, personal presence and impact
- Developing potential and ability to work at Board level
- Developing leadership skills that are transferable beyond roles, professional and organisational boundaries
- Increasing knowledge and skills of service transformation and quality improvement methodologies
- Developing greater understanding/sharing and joint development working
- between secondary and primary care clinicians
- Past participants reported an increase of confidence across 17 of the 18 leadership competencies addressed in the programme.
Why participate in the Clinical Leaders programme?
- 91% of our alumni reported increased performance in their current role following participation in one of our development programmes
- 94% of our alumni reported increased engagement in their team and/or organisation following participation in one of our development programmes
- Increases in patient safety, quality, efficiency and combined savings of over £3m have been reported during workplace innovation projects supported by the academy as part of our development programmes
How is the programme delivered?
- Leadership skills master classes, skills workshops and tutorials
- Executive coaching and action learning sets
- Westminster study tour
- Progress against tailored personal development plans
- Assessment based on Healthcare Leadership Framework, diagnostics and 360 feedback.
Who should participate?
Participants are likely to be very senior clinicians that have already identified leadership capability as a requirement in their personal development plan. This includes:
- Clinical leaders such as consultant nurses or consultant allied health professionals
- Current and aspirant Clinical Commissioning Group Chairs
- Clinical Directors and aspirant Clinical Leads
- Leaders of medical teams and General Practitioners
How is the programme funded?
The programme is primarily funded by the Academy, however a contribution of £2,000 per participant is required. This may be funded by the participant’s organisation or by the individual themselves.
How can I apply?
Applications are not currently open.
“With the development of greater insight into the NHS community and myself, I have been able to support colleagues at work and contribute more effectively to the health care issues both within the trust in which I work and the NHS in the North East. Invaluable.” - NELA Participant